Hiring a Director of Finance to Join the Oneupweb Team
Are you a forward-thinking financial leader with a passion for driving organizational growth through strategic financial management? Can you deliver wide-ranging insights and thorough analysis to influence business strategy? Do you enjoy quantifying financial impact to guide organizational decision making? Oneupweb is looking for a Director of Finance to join our leadership team andhead the strategic planning, management, coordination, and execution of all financial and accounting functions. The Director of Finance will lead the successful operation and strategic development of the company’s financial system and its internal controls including payroll, AP/AR, financial reporting, investment and cash flow oversight, budgeting, auditing, insurance coverage, asset management and financial and tax reporting. They will provide information, analysis, and recommendations to guide strategic thinking and direction, and establish financial objectives in line with the company mission and goals.
This is a full-time exempt position reporting to Oneupweb’s CEO. The position can be performed in-office/remotely as determined by business needs but will require a frequent presence at our headquarters in Traverse City, MI.
Oneupweb is a Michigan-based digital marketing agency with widespread impact. From our headquarters in beautiful Traverse City, we work with local, national, and international clients across a wide spectrum of industries, managing everything from content marketing to enterprise website design and development. We love what we do, and we’ve been doing it successfully for 20 years.
We have the perfect mix of left-brained analytical thinkers and right-brained creatives, and an unparalleled work ethic – we’re salt-of-the-earth types who invest fully in our clients. More than just professional marketers, we’re also active members of the community, continual learners, outdoor enthusiasts, pet lovers, foodies, and craft beer drinkers.
- Provide financial and accounting leadership, information, analysis, and recommendations to guide strategic thinking and direction, and establish financial objectives in line with the company mission and goals.
- Establish financial strategies by evaluating industry trends, establishing metrics, developing finance and accounting systems, resolving problems and implementing change.
- Assist in developing revenue opportunities by studying economic trends, projecting expansion prospects, analyzing company operations; identify opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, systems enhancement, and accumulating capital to fund business expansion.
- Develop financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements, identifying resources, and developing action plans.
- Develop and maintain company finance and accounting policies, procedures, internal controls and compliance.
- Lead strategic financial planning and budgets, and audit/manage monthly cost performance; continually monitor organizational and financial risk; construct and maintain models to inform leadership of the impact of changes in the financial environment.
- Collaborate with other departments (Sales, Account Management, Paid, Content, Web Development, Video) to ensure efficient and effective contracting, purchasing and client service operations through cost analysis support, development of policies and procedures, and compliance with all contractual requirements.
- Partner with Business Development on negotiating scopes of work, reviewing budgets, developing proposals, and evaluating new project compliance and implementation concerns.
- Calculate costs of materials, services, direct labor, overhead rates for contracts, based on forecasts and historical pricing data.
- Manage and/or perform as needed all accounting functions, including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions, bi-weekly payroll, PTO, and timekeeping processing, cash management, credit card, petty cash, and bank reconciliation and cash forecasting; produce accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end reports.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), monitor revenue and expenses; coordinate the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of financial data.
- Oversee completion and submission of payroll and business tax returns, workers’ compensation, retirement plan (401k), insurance and other compliance documents.
- Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Appraise, evaluate, and inventory real property and equipment; ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financial reports.
- Ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current law; advise management of actions and potential risks.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on matters relating to employee benefits, payroll and timekeeping, training, compensation, and regulatory compliance.
- Serve as the point of contact for requests for financial data from clients, the IRS or external auditors.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Directly supervise, train and performance manage accounting department staff; monitor and analyze accounting department work to develop efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Provide leadership by establishing clear expectations, demonstrating high standards of work practices, and focusing on team building.
- Focus and engage the team to align with the objectives, commitments, culture, and values of the company; support an innovative and high-performing finance team that meets client commitments.
- Certified Public Accountant is a plus.
- Five or more years of relevant accounting experience in a management role, preferably in an agency environment.
- 5 or more years of experience leading financial, administrative and compliance management.
- High level of proficiency with technology; including Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Excel, Teams), HRMS and payroll systems (Intuit/QuickBooks), Project Management Software (Teamwork, SharePoint), Slack, in an agency environment.
- Demonstrated passion for advancing and transforming business processes to produce operational excellence.
- Strong knowledge of finance and corporate administration best practices and regulatory compliance.
- Advanced interpersonal skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively and maintain credibility across all levels in the business.
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong writing, organizational and communication skills.
- Strong leader who prioritizes development, teamwork, and engagement of team members.
- Reside in Traverse City, Michigan or willing to relocate.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
- Excellent PTO package.
- Summer Fridays (every other Friday off).
- Flexible remote and hybrid work options.
- Celebrated diversity.
- Resources for individual and community growth.
- Extensive professional development.
- Unparalleled “Michigan nice” company culture.
We want to hear from you! Please visit our website at oneupweb.com/careers/ to learn more about our business and culture. Submit your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.